Are You Entitled to Spousal Support?

The issue of spousal support concerns many divorced women with children. Many women stayed at home with their children, while their husbands climbed the financial ladder. They sacrificed their education and jobs to take care of the family.
A sudden divorce can cause financial havoc for a woman who didn’t have a job in years. In this case you may be entitled to spousal support if your marriage lasted for at least seven years. The laws vary from state to state, yet there are certain things you need to know if you’re thinking of getting a divorce.

How long have you been married?

You need to be realistic about your options. In case your marriage didn’t last longer than three years, you would have less chances of getting any spousal support. Ask your attorney about the support before you move on with any court hearings.
If you have been married for over 7 years, the court will be more likely to take spousal support in consideration. For example, in Utah, if you were married for eight years, the court can award you the spousal support for eight years, i.e. an equal period to the length of your marriage. Alimony is a different case that should be discussed separately.

How much do you earn?

It is obvious that your husband’s earning capacity is an important factor for spousal support. The court will take into consideration the fact that you had to postpone your college education to stay at home with our children. In some cases, the wife chooses to sacrifice her promotions at work to stay at home with children because the husband’s job requires him to work extra hours and spend weekends at work. Otherwise, the husband wouldn’t be able to earn a considerable paycheck.
In case, both of you barely make ends meet the court won’t award you spousal support. Only a higher-waged partner will be obliged to pay the support.


You will lose your spousal support if you decide to remarry or start living with your new boyfriend.  You need to talk to your lawyer before you decide to move in with your new partner. In some cases you may even negotiate and suspend the spousal support. This way you will get the support back in case your relationship fails.
Try settling these issues with your ex-husband before you go to the court. If both parties agree on this matter the court will allow the suspension. Otherwise, it will simply get cancelled and won’t get renewed in case you break up with your current partner.

Keep in mind

Child support and spousal support are two different things. No one would cancel your child support even if you were married for one year only. If you wish to be better informed and prepared, you need to check the laws of your state regarding the spousal support. Always consult the lawyers and check the laws of your state.

About the author:

This is a guest post by freelance writer and blogger Claire Wilson for Richard D. Palmer Law Offices. If you are looking for legal assistance with spousal support in Ohio, visit website to get in touch with their divorce attorneys.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form